Sunday, September 30, 2007

Back on Track... and Confirmation

After taking the week off, I completed my first solo 8 miler. It was 8.22 miles in 1:59:29. (14:32 pace). I did it without an ipod and amazingly didn't go crazy with boredom! What was I thinking about during that time? I have no idea. Sometimes on a downhill, it was how good I felt. On the uphills - I was thinking about Hill Difficulty (Pilgrim's Progress). After 5 miles, why did my face feel funny? (It was dry - there was no more sweat on my face) Was I going to be able to finish after my week off? Then as the sun went down, I just wanted to be back in the neighborhoods again and off the busy street - and why was that guy standing at his doorway just looking out? Is he some pervert that's going to follow me? Then it was relief at finding sprinklers going so I could cool down. The challenge of looking at my map underneath streetlights to find my way - ah! Another sprinkler! I drank the last drop of the water I carried, filled up my bottle from the sprinkler and poured it over my head. Several more pours and I was soaked! I was at the end before I realized it as I had missed a dogleg earlier. I was going to walk the rest of the way, but when I saw my watch said 1:58:02 - I decided to run so I could stand in the same spot I started my watch and stop it officially under 2 hours. :) And I did!

The most amazing thing I've discovered is: it's no big deal to go out and run/walk 8 miles. All I have to do is pick a route and go do it! It's only one step at a time! Literally!

On another note, I was surfing and found video online from a Prefontaine movie. They showed a rock, apparently at the place Pre died, painted with the date of his death. 5-30-75. I checked another website and confirmed that is the date Prefontaine died in the early morning hours. I am taking this as confirmation that running is something I'm supposed to do. I was born on 5-30-75.

No comments: