Monday, September 3, 2007

Solo at Sunset

Yesterday I ran my first solo run. I searched for local routes at www.usatf.org/routes and picked one that was four miles. I packed Eden up after her nap and we drove down to the end of Palafox. I'd never been to the end of Palafox before. I didn't know that it's a nice little park where people go fishing and you can walk on the pier. I ran from there to the beginning of the Gulf Breeze-Pensacola bridge.

The first mile was very hard. My calves were tight and my feet were hurting. Wednesday had been my last run - so this was four days later. Maybe I waited too long? Or maybe I went out too fast? I greatly shortened my stride both running and walking - and after the first 20 minutes were over, it wasn't so difficult.

It was hot! And the little breeze that was there was going the same direction I was - so I couldn't feel it at all! :) I thought running on the water would affort a bit of breeze - but it was just hot and still. I made it to the bridge after 30 minutes and it was just neat to nod "hi" to the people fishing and think to myself, "I made it all the way over here on my own two feet!" The sun disappeared behind the clouds just after I turned around, so we weren't blinded by a sunset as we made our way back. (And now the breeze was not going my way, so I got to enjoy it a bit!)

Eden literally had her dinner on the run! She ate 1/2 of a PB&J during mile 1. Lima beans during mile 2. The 2nd half of the PB&J on mile 3 and topped it off with way too many grapes on mile 4. Yep, she was happy!

I had brought my iPod and put it on at mile 3 - but I couldn't hear her if she talked to me - so I turned it off. But I gave her a hand-held tape recorder with her sitter, Mary, singing songs on it - so we were jamming to "Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed" as we ran down Main Street.

All in all it was a good run. The surprising thing is that I did it. I really went out there, got in the car, drove to my run, and ran it! I made the route, made the appointment with myself, arranged my day around it, and did it! I feel like Eden who constantly says now, "I did it! Mommy, I did it!" :) I do have to thank the Galloway Group for helping me see the importance of getting out of my neighborhood and running new routes. It removes the mental cobwebs.

Maybe, just maybe, I can do this thing on my own. (And maybe my nutrition will catch up with my aspirations, too!) Thank you for your support.

1 comment:

Ted said...

Way to go Christie! I have no doubt you can do it on your own. I trained for my first marathon alone, hopefully you'll be able to join us once in a while. Be of good cheer, you can do it!
T