Wednesday, September 26, 2007

A little Seafood & a little ER...

This past weekend was the Seafood Festival 5K. Even with Tropical Depression #10 headed straight to Pensacola, I was determined to run as the Seafood Festival was my first 5K ever last year. :) And yes, I was even going to run with my dear daughter, rain or shine. :)

At 3:30 am - it was pouring! But by 5 am it had stopped and the radar showed the worst of it was over. The race was gorgeous with a great cool breeze - much, much cooler than the Seafood 5K of last year!

I was talked into becoming a coach at the last minute (right at the starting line) and tried to coach two fellow Galloway runners, Lou & Christine to a sub 40 minute finish - but none of us made it! My time ended up being 41:32 - worse than my first run ever of last year... BUT none of that compares with helping Lou & Christine make it to the finish line in just over 42 minutes!

I do know one thing, though. I am NOT a natural coach! I can't think of anything encouraging to say - and felt like everything I said probably only made their run worse!

But - I was the first stroller to finish - probably thanks to the Tropical Depression and lower turnout. :) Still, it was nice to dream that maybe they'd have a stroller division one day. :)

That was Saturday and Sunday morning I awoke, took my walk, did all my wifely and mother duties all day long and went to bed exhausted. (Can you really feel like you've done well in a day if you DON'T go to bed exhausted?) - only to wake up at 3:30 am with a nasty, nasty bug! Yep, had to call my babysitter to come get my daughter while my husband took me to the ER!

Needless to say, I was off of work Monday and Tuesday and did not get my first run in this week. :) I'm still rather weak and am facing a 7.5 mile Trail run this weekend. But - despite Eden's 2nd Birthday Party on Saturday, and the fact that her best friend will be spending the night on Friday - I am still going to go to the run. :) Bugspray and scenery. yippee! I'll just take it slow - but one step at a time, we'll get there!

(Didn't I say that it would be all of the off-road events - not the on-road ones - that would be the challenges?)

No comments: