Monday, August 6, 2007

The First Monday Morning

Today was my first Monday 'get-out-of-bed-and-get-on-the-treadmill-because-you-made-a-committment' workout. It took me 30 minutes to get there. Last night I read about Jeff Galloway's "Dirty Tricks" and did one of them this morning. He says the Left Brain will give you all sorts of reasons not to workout. So to silence it, for example, if you're coming home from a hard day's work, you might tell yourself, "I'm just going to change into some comfortable clothes and lounge around the house" - which of course, end up being your comfortable running clothes and shoes. Then you tell yourself, "I'm just going to step outside and see what the weather is like" after which you say, "I'll walk down the street and see what the neighbors are doing" and then "I'll go across the street..." and bam - you've tricked your Left Brain into staying silent so you could get out and run!

I had to do that this morning by saying, "I'm just going to get dressed in my workout clothes" (after all I left them out all neatly last night. It would be a shame to let them sit unused.) Then, "I'll just do a 5 minute warm-up on the treadmill." And I ended up doing my entire 30 minute run at a 1:1 interval. (That's 1 minute of running, 1 minute of waking)

I felt great after I finished and even continued to do my situps and stretched though I was already late. :) One of the key reasons I quit last year was because I did not enjoy my weekday runs. I tried to make every weekday run a race, and never allowed myself to recover. Well, I ran a hard race on Saturday and I know I haven't recovered, so I took it easy today and it felt good.

I need to keep looking forward to Wednesday and looking forward to Saturday! I can't wait to meet the 15 new people we have in our Galloway Running Group. They're in for an adventure!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You go girl! I am so proud of you:) I enjoyed reading your blog. You should be a journalist! You are such a good writer:) Can't wait until our next race!

The JOY of the LORD is our STRENGTH! LOve,Becky