Thursday, August 2, 2007

Running for Pennies

I quit journaling after 15+ years of it because I didn’t have the time since I’m ‘all grown up,’ married and with a full-time job and a child. But, I have decided to have a new theme in my life... Finish Something I Formerly Quit. So - in accordance with that theme, here I go! :)

What is the first thing (other than journaling - now blogging) that I have decided to finish? I am embarking on a journey that I have never run - er - done before. Basically, I am going to run a Half-Marathon.

I have been thinking about this for quite some time. In fact, I attempted it last year. I signed up for Jeff Galloway’s running group in my town. I was absolutely glowing with sweat and endorphins after finishing my first 3 mile run with them – something I never thought I could do. I was hooked – but not yet committed.

I ran with a friend in my neighborhood at 5 am – when we both got up, that is. I ran with the Galloway group in my town on Saturdays. It started with 3 miles, then 3.5 miles, then 4 miles, back to 3 miles, 4.5 miles, 5 miles, back to 4 miles…. Following a pattern like that: upping the mileage a bit for 2 or 3 Saturdays, then falling back for an easier Saturday. And all we were supposed to do was run 30 or 45 minutes during the week on Monday and Wednesday. (At least, that’s all we beginners had to do, according to Jeff.)

It was great, because we met at a different place every Saturday. I still remember the Saturday run on the other side of the Bay when it rained. Oh, it was GREAT to run in that gentle downpour, to feel the water drip from your head and know that there was nothing between you and the elements. It was mentally invigorating. I remember that it was a 5 mile run that day and a friend from work joined us for the first (and unfortunately, so far) last time. She was so surprised how the walk breaks and the fellowship made the miles pass, if not effortlessly, at least a lot easier that you would imagine.

I also remember the times we ran downtown – going much further north than I would’ve ever imagine going on foot – and how odd it seemed to be running underneath the Interstate! Things just look different when you’re traveling places and you’re not in a car!

I didn’t even mention that I was dropping inches at that same time even if I wasn’t dropping pounds. But with all of these benefits, why did I not continue?

To Be Continued... :)

No comments: