Thursday, December 13, 2007

As If Running Wasn't Enough...

As if running wasn't enough, I have to add CrossFit workouts to my routine! My husband is starting this new method of training and I did my first two CrossFit workouts this week. I'm not sure what the neighbor thought as he pulled out of his driveway to see us in the street at 9 pm while I was performing kettlebell swings! Monday's workout was good: 10 rounds of run 50 m, 10 medicine ball squat & throws, run 50 m, 10 kettlebell swings. I did it in 20 minutes and was sore the next day - but it felt good to be sore.

Tuesday night I did my run - and felt like someone had pushed me back 4 months in my training! I couldn't run for 4 lightpoles. I had to start with running 2 lightpoles and worked up to 3 lightpoles. I could really tell the effect of Monday's workout on Tuesday's running. This is when I realized with this change in my routine, I'm probably NOT going to get a PR in Saturday's 5K.

Wednesday - well, it was tough. Joe wanted to put me through 75 air squats and 75 pushups - but was stunned to discover I can't do a single pushup and can only do 3 - 5 knee pushups. Plus, with all of the extra weight I carry, I can't do a single air squat or I fall over! So he had me do as many pushups as I could, then had me hold one as long as I could. It hurt. Then he had me hold a squat and do high-knees. That was repeated three times. It was only 12 minutes but felt like 20. When it was done, there were spots on the mat from my tears. It made me think, "Crying? There's no crying in CrossFit!" But yesterday there was. And the crazy thing is - Monday evening, I'll be doing it again.

No comments: