Monday, December 17, 2007

Jingle Bells

I can't believe I actually did TWO CrossFit WODs (Workouts of the Day) last week AND my two Galloway week-day runs. My Thursday run was only run 3 lightpoles, walk 1 lightpole instead of the 4:1 I was doing before - AND I stopped after 35 minutes instead of going 45 or 55. Thankfully, I have a 13.5 - 14 mile run coming up on FRIDAY MORNING, so I begged out of any CrossFit workouts this week so I can be ready!

Saturday I knew not to expect a PR because of the past week. Running 3.5 miles with the Galloway group before the race was still harder than normal - so I was especially glad that I had signed up for the race. The energy at the start is so invigorating! It's always great to start a race with the mass of people around you. :) You feel like you're a part of something bigger than yourself!

Naturally the group spread out quickly. I saw one father with an empty jogging stroller. His two girls were running at the time. "I'll be doing that soon with my two-year-old" I said. He responded, "I consider it to be a run / ride." That made me smile. Maybe I will not only take Eden to a Fun Run - but also consider bringing her to a few 5Ks when I'm not concerned about my time at all.

There was one teenage girl with her father who was having a rough time. I always see people, especially kids, suffering and I want to tell them all, "I'm running for 1 minute, walking for 1 minute. Do you want to run/walk with me?" But I never do. Well, this time, I mentioned run/walk to the young lady - and she took me up on it! A minute later, I heard her dad say, "ok... your minute starts... now!" And they started running. She kept it up to the end of the race and did pretty well. :) Consider recruiting people to the run/walk intervals during a race! It just might work! :)

There was a girl dressed up as a Christmas tree - and I was determined she wouldn't beat me. I caught up with her fairly easily. But once I did - she kept passing me again and again! I don't know if she sped up or if I had slowed down. But I decided she wouldn't beat me - and began to leave her behind. I always pick one person mid-race to catch or pass which makes me do better. Another reason to sign up and run!

I finished in 37:14 which is not a personal best. (Turkey Trot was 35:xx) But it WAS a decent time. At least - it was a 2nd best if you don't count my first ever race over a year ago. :) Races always encourage me that even if I'm not #1 at the moment - I'm a lot better off than not running at all. So I'm happy with my time.

Time to hydrate and sleep and prepare for my Friday morning run! I'm a bit nervous - but I suppose I have to take it 1 minute at a time! If anyone wants to join us - even for a portion of the route - let me know! It'd be a great encouragement. :) (Bikes are welcome too!!!)

No comments: