Monday, December 3, 2007

Wardrobe Malfunction at Mile 9

Last Saturday we ran 12.5 miles on the Blackwater Trail in Milton. I'd never been out there and it was a great trail. I hope to go out and bike with my family there someday.

It started easy. I've been running 2.5 minutes and then walking 1 minute at home, so running 1:1 seemed too easy. But that changes gradually mile after mile. All was normal the first half - then we turned around, did a few more miles, and things started getting strange... First it was the HeeHaw song, "You met another and pbbt! you were gone!" then the Green Acres theme song followed by the Facts of Life theme song and our group leader chimed in with "It's so hard to be humble - but I'm doing the best that I can!" Robin was the first to succumb to oxygen-deprivation to the brain and got quite giddy. Others followed suite and even I felt the effects.

It was somewhere around mile 9 that I noticed chaffing... I commented that I shouldn't be having chaffing issues while wearing capris. About that time, I checked and found out my 10 yr-old cotten "tights" that my mother had JUST turned into capris with pockets on the outsides had blown a hole up in the nether regions! Now exposed, the material on the other leg turned into sandpaper and was rubbing me raw with every step!

It was uncomfortable but gradually got more and more painful. When walking, I waddled from side to side to keep things apart. I even RAN from side to side for several minutes and discovered that is NOT the most efficient form of running! I had a long-sleeve t-shirt that was knotted around my waist. Relief finally came when I stopped and stuffed the sleeves of the t-shirt into the hole. That covered most everything and allowed me to finish with a normal stride. :)

(On hind-sight, I could've put my head-band earwarmers around my leg and that probably would've worked too!)

I HAVE LEARNED MY LESSON! I was trying to save money and not buy expensive running pants. But, now I have to put a gauze over the wound and wrap it with tape to keep it in place while it heals. Thankfully, it didn't happen early in the run or it would've prevented me from finishing. We have enough to handle with hydration, nutrition and endurance without our gear causing more problems!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOL... I love the funny and light way you shared this running trama. Keep it up. Still proud of you....